Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Student Voice (2-15-08)

Jessica's Perspective
In Mr. Singer's math class I feel as if I am in a learning community that cares about math and their class. Mr. Singer is a very good math teacher. He explains the math problem in a way that you can understand it. I help my partner Angel with scaling and proportions. I feel as if I have made a big change. I went from a student who didn't care about other people's learning to a student who loves to help her fellow classmates. I can't wait to see how the "Power of 17" changes and grows to be a better class.

The following are three student's written responses to our DO NOW from last Wednesday (The DO NOW is just the question or problem that starts each class period). The question posed to the class was "Why is it important to examine one another's work and to present our thinking to each other?"

"It is important to check and revise each other's work to better the Power of 17!" - Ladon

"It is important because we can learn new ways of thinking. Also, to look at the same problem in a different way. To present to the class helps us get used to speaking and we show that we learn our work and it becomes sticky." - Iaisha

"It helps us prepare for our jobs in the future. We'll have to present at our jobs well if we're going to be successful." - Jessica

No comments: