Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Courage 8-6-08

When Lizzy, a fellow teacher, approached my classroom with Rosetta under her arm and stated "she's yours for advisory," I was in shock. Just last year Rosetta left Manual because we simply weren't supporting her learning. As much as we tried to work with her and help with her personal issues we were unable to make our school a place where she could move forward with her learning. It was my understanding that she ended up at CLA (a school designed for students who are struggling to gain credits at their home schools). Furthermore, I had heard through other students that she had gotten pregnant and given birth to a baby boy. She's 15 years old.

Walking into my advisory class, a look of fear and embarrassment washed over her face. "Join this group right here Rosetta, it's good to see you." I tried to provide her with an inviting smile. I wanted her to feel good about joining my advisory. She couldn't have entered at a more fitting time. The groups were engaged in a discussion around courage. What does courage mean? Who is courageous? What's an example from your own life where you've witnessed courage?

Here's my new definition...Rosetta. Leaving school (failing out really), getting pregnant, having a baby, and then walking into your old teacher's classroom as a freshmen all over again and deciding that it's time to do school right. If that's not courage than I don't know what is. She may not be standing up to a real lion with a small wooden sword and a shoddy shield, but I'm pretty sure her example embodies a metaphorical lion, one I hope to God she will slay.

No comments: